Serving the animals and citizens of Iowa County and its surrounding communities
So! You'd like to adopt a pet from the Iowa County Humane Society! Here's what we need from you to get the process started.
Every effort will be made to approve an application as soon as possible but some applications may take longer to be processed. ICHS staff will notify you when that process has been completed. Please be advised that no animal will leave the shelter until the completed application has been researched and verified! We do not process same day adoptions!
A pet is a long-term commitment on your part and you MUST be able and willing to spend the time and money necessary to provide training, medical treatment and proper care for the pet. Pets are not toys, trinkets, or "cute" gifts. They're living, breathing animals and they can't be tossed aside when you're tired of "playing" with them. If you don't think you'll be able to devote all the necessary time and care to a pet, now or later in the future, think VERY carefully about getting one!
1. Complete the adoption application below. This speeds up the process considerably. However, there may still be a minimum 24 hr. waiting period to process the application depending on when the application is received.
2. Provide verification that animals are allowed in your home. To do this you must provide one of the following:
We do this because one of the top reasons unwanted animals end up here
is because the "landlord does not allow pets".
3. Two personal references that we will contact to verify how you are with animals. (NOT RELATED TO YOU OR LIVING IN THE SAME HOUSEHOLD. NO EXCEPTIONS!)
4. We recommend all family members who will be living with the animal be present when meeting the animal. If you find an animal that you think might be right for you, spend some time socializing, walking, or playing with it. We want for you to be sure that the particular animal you have in mind is right for you and your family.
5. Must be at least 18 years old to adopt any animal from the shelter.
6. Present photo identification with current address, pending the adoption of the animal.
7. Our Adoption Fees:
Adoption Cost includes:
Regular adoption policies to apply-screening of applicants and approval needed for adoption of a pet. No same day adoptions.
Licensing Information: All animals living in Iowa County MUST be licensed. Cost varies Check with your Local Municipality . To see the Iowa County Ordinances, click here.
We are happy you are considering adopting a shelter animal. The goal of our adoption program is to find permanent, loving, responsible homes for the animals in our care. We try to find a match that considers not only the best interests of the animal, but those of the caretaker as well. We also do a Public Record Search on WI Circuit Court Access. Understand that we have the right to deny any application.
Use GoodSearch for internet searchs and earn money for ICHS
Shop using iGive and earn money for ICHS - More than 500 of your favorite stores!
Dog Supplies - Cat Supplies - Pet Blog
We have chosen Kuranda dog beds because they are so good for our dogs. We don't have enough for all of our kennels. You can help by donating a bed.
WI Dog Rescue
Iowa County Humane Society
305 Co. Rd. YZ
Dodgeville, WI. 53533
For additional contacts go to:
Board of Directors and Staff
WI Dog Seller & Dog Facility Operator license #267019-DS
ICHS is always looking for Volunteers,
Learn more at
**Notice for Current Volunteers**
Please note that volunteers are resticted to visiting during ICHS open hours ONLY. Thank you!
Find your next pet,